After several running-free months, I finally got the bug again this week to wake up early, carb-load on PB&J, and crush some miles for medal. It's been so long since I last ran a race (December 6, 2014, to be exact), that I can't remember what it feels like to be active that early in the morning (7:00 AM). Thus, I hit the internet to find a mid-spring half-marathon big enough to feel special and warm enough for my wimpy, hot yoga-attuned ass. In case you, too, feel the need for 13.1 speed, here are T&F's top 10 picks:
- O.C. Half-Marathon: Orange County, CA, on May 1
If you like your races with a side of Tamra, Vicki, and Heather, this is the one.
- Roanoke Non-Ultra Trail Series Trail Nut Half-Marathon: Bedford, VA, on May 7
Its website promises that the Trail Nut will make a trail nut out of you.
- Rhinebeck Hudson Valley Half-Marathon: Rhinebeck, NY, on May 14
The Hudson Valley in springtime. 'Nough said.
- Mystic Half-Marathon: Mystic, CT, on May 15
While you're there, you can house-hunt for the perfect summer rental.
- Dandelion Run Half-Marathon: Derby, VT, on May 21
This race literally takes you through a field of dandelions, okay?
- Joplin Memorial Half-Marathon: Joplin, MO, on May 21
Shout-out to my hometown! This race is in memory of those lost in the 2011 tornado.
- Down 2 Earth Half-Marathon: North Miami Beach, FL, on May 22
You never need an excuse to visit MIA, but this is a good one.
- Pacific Northwest Half-Marathon: Eugene, OR, on May 28
Racing through America's running capital should be on every halfer's bucket list.
- Great Hyannis Road Races John Kelley Half-Marathon: Hyannis, MA, on May 29
Where else would you rather run on Memorial Day Weekend than Cape Cod?
- Vail Valor Half-Marathon: Vail, CO, on May 30
Assuming you prefer mountain views to beaches, this is the race for you.