When I stumbled upon a step-by-step guide to getting Khloe Kardashian's insane new body in a recent issue of Women's Health, you'd better believe I ran straight to the gym. The author spoke directly to Ms. Kardashian's trainer, the legendary Gunnar Peterson. Gunnar, in turn, spoke directly to my low-maintenance heart, recommending 5 moves that require only 3 pieces of equipment -- a set of hand weights, a medicine ball, and a bench. The whole process takes about 20 minutes.
Does equipment intimidate you too? I invested in a TRX system this past summer, and even that raises my blood pressure.
Here are the moves and how I tweaked them for me:
- Box Jump: This one is easy. Jump with both feet onto a box or weight bench. Mr. Peterson suggests 5 reps of 20-second bursts, as many jumps as you can do in that burst. Since this method requires watching a clock, I swapped those intervals with 3 sets of 10 jumps each.
- Banded 4x4 Walk: Slip a resistance band around your ankles, squat low, and walk in a square formation. One square equals one rep. Repeat for 20 steps, then reverse directions. I skipped this move entirely. No bands handy!
- Single Dumbbell Clean & Press: Stand with feet shoulder-width apart and a hand weight on the floor between your legs. Squat, pick it up, raise it to shoulder height, and press it up toward the ceiling. Reverse the motion to complete one rep. Repeat a set of 12 reps three times. I kept this one as is because it rocks. Err on the heavier side of dumbbell weight.
- Overhead Crunch to Rotation: Lie down in crunch position. Hold a medicine ball over your head, arms straight. Rise up from floor using core to lift. Keep your back and arms straight. Repeat 10 times, then do another set, this time lowering ball to right hip at the top of each rep. Repeat on left side. This hurt my back too much to complete, and not in a good-muscle-ache way. I lowered into a half-up crunch and did Russian twists instead.
- Renegade Row to Mountain Climber: Get into push-up position with hands holding dumbbells. Alternating sides, raise each weight off the ground, elbow bent, 10 times for one set. Then do a total of 20 mountain climbers on each side. Repeat each set three times. This may look like an arm exercise, but it is truly an ab buster. I did extra mountain climbers to compensate for skipping the aforementioned crab walk.
- Reverse Lunge to Press with High Knee: Hold dumbbells at shoulder height, arms bent at right angles. Lower into a lunge on right side, then return to stand and raise right knee to hip height while pressing weights to ceiling. Repeat on left side. That's one set. Complete 10 of 'em. Loved this move the most. Requires total concentration and focus on core muscles to maintain balance.